Tuesday, April 8, 2008

a new russian drama 9-16-2003 @ 4:47 p.m.

So we've already established that Friday was not such a banner day for me, right? As soon as I shook the overwhelming standing in the middle of the freeway feeling, I got the delightful news that my temp job was to end. In one hour. That's a lot of time for myself and my temp agency to prepare, isn't it! Being in the very much behind on my rent circumstance (and am still) I figured that I needed to update the Daddyman. Maybe I was hoping that he would remind me that I always could move in with him into a two bedroom, maybe I was just looking for some emotional support...
Yes. I will pause while you laugh. Yes. I know better.
Luckily, on my way home, I quickly made some spur of the moment plans with a swell mommy friend of mine. The weather was walking a nice line of crisp and warm and I figured that the lady of the house of Knoll would welcome adult conversation (especially since her husband doesn't seem to be adult and is lousy for conversation) and I was right. THANK GOD FOR THAT.
The girls and I went home, snacked, changed into play clothes and headed to see the Daddyman. As I pulled into the parking lot I noticed that his parking space was filled. With a big silver Extera. Hmmmmm...
Oh yeah. KGB drives an Extera. One of the times I had to restrain myself from strangling the Daddyman was when he saw an Extera commercial and he got all misty remembering the adventures they'd had together in that SUV.
For those of you coming in just now, the "adventures" were mainly scoring crack cocaine.
So I am alarmed, but not surprised. Even though they hadn't spoken that I was aware of, since August 25 (when KGB highlighted her plan of "marrying some middle-aged judge and having his heir") I figured they would.
What to do? The fact remained that he had no minutes on his phone, and now the girls were expecting to at least say hello. There was information that needed to be shared.
When he answered the door he wasn't too flustered or suspicious, but said "I have company"
"Yes I recognized the car."
"I have company that just took a shower and is getting dressed."
"Oh." I said as I didn't enter the house and started to back away from the door. " Well, I couldn't get you by phone, figured you were out of minutes since there was no voice mail option. Figured I'd stop by."
"No voice mail? I was low, I must be out."
"That's what I figured. Anyway- we'll clear out. I just thought you should know that my job ended today."
"WhAT?"
"They aren't hiring me permanently and my last day was today. They told me at 3:30. Considering everything, I'm kind of upset. But we're going to the house of Knoll to play. I'll talk to you later and try to get you a phone card."
"Let me walk you to your car."
"That's okay, I just wanted to make sure I could get a hold of you."
"She just stopped by unexpectedly" (This makes perfect sense being that he wasn't calling her. She would drop by to make sure he was thinking about her. Obsessing and depressed about her. Y'know- normal healthy stuff.)
"That makes sense. She just dropped by and took a shower. Whatever."
"This doesn't change any of the things I've been thinking about. We didn't have sex"
"Okay whatever."
"I'll call you later, when she leaves."
"How? Your phone is out."
"I'll call from her phone before she leaves..."
"Uh, no. I'll get you a card and drop it by later. Don't forget the picnic with the baby is tomorrow.."
"Tomorrow?! I have a gig tomorrow!" (Gig out of the blue. Don't talk for 24 hours and the gears are turning turning turning apparently)
"Tomorrow is the 13. It's tomorrow at 10:30"
"Okay. You'll take care of that for me? I'll see you later?"
"Yep. Much later."
"Nothing happened."
"Nothing but she dropped by unexpectedly and you invited her to take a shower. I know."
-curtain-

1 comment:

Vintage Modern Living said...

Hello to you Laura,
I just wanted to drop you a quick line for your kind words on my new website - thankyou thank you!
I truly appreciate the enthusiastic support...
(:
Sincerely,
Laurie Drake
*it looks as if you may be one I can learn from on this "blogging culture" - I will definitely be taking a closer look at yours...!